Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Serves 2 to 4
Summer in a tortilla. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients - it's mostly produce and it's well worth the effort of chopping and peeling. Good enough for company, but easy enough to make on a weeknight.
RECIPE & PHOTO COURTESY OF:
For the Salsa
- 1 small shallot
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from half a lime
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
For the Shrimp
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds large or extra large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 8 - 10 six-inch corn or flour tortillas
- Approximately 2 cups chopped red cabbage, for garnish (I buy it pre-chopped in a bag)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Approximately 1 cup sour cream, for garnish
Make the Salsa
Put the shallot, jalapeno and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped (a mini food processor is best, but large will work too). Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, avocado, salt, lime juice and cilantro and stir to combine. Set aside. (If not using right away, place a piece of saran wrap inside the bowl and directly over salsa to prevent discoloration and refrigerate.)
Make the Shrimp
Heat grill to medium. Meanwhile, mix the olive oil, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and shrimp in a large bowl. Stir until shrimp are evenly coated with seasoning. Grease grill with a wad of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil or non-flammable cooking spray. Place shrimp on grill and cook until just opaque, about 1-1/2 - 2 minutes per side. Cover to keep shrimp warm.
Grill the tortillas until warm and slightly charred, about 20 seconds per side. (Alternatively, heat tortillas in microwave according to package instructions.)
Spoon avocado salsa generously over warm tortillas, then top with 3 shrimp, red cabbage and dollops of sour cream. Serve tacos with lime wedges on the side.
And most importantly, don't forget the wine! Check out some of our suggested pairings below.